The background of Seine Innopolis
From flax fibre to optical fibre
Located in Petit-Quevilly, Seine Innopolis took up residence in the heart of an old building dating back to 1835, formerly dedicated to linen and cotton weaving.
Baptized at the time the Lightning (after the name of the tugboat whose steam engine was recovered to heat the building), the symbol of the Industrial Revolution was a national reference in the 19th century, employing nearly 700 people.
Admired by Maupassant (who cited the building in “Bel Ami”) and by many of his contemporaries for its exceptional size – the main building called “la Grande Fabrique” alone was 150m long – at the time, the construction was the largest in France.
Decommissioned in 1999, the building now beats to the rhythm of the digital technologies. Hosting innovative businesses, Seine Innopolis boosts the competitiveness of the Rouen Normandy metropolitan area in terms of ICT.